Thursday, January 18, 2007

anglo-saxon

1. I liked reading Beowulf even though it was hard to read. I like reading books about things that happened a long time ago, like The lord of the ring beowulf is like lord of the ring like when someone says who they are are like if I was introducing myself I would say scott son of george. The part that sticks out to me the most is the part when Beowulf went to the water to fight Grendals mom. It was just crazy how much strength Beowulf had he was so strong he could lift up a sword that the giants had made for themselves it was showing how strong he really was.
Another part of the story that I liked that stuck out to me is at the end of the story Beowulf was really old and he went to fight the dragon I don't think it was because he was cocky he just knew it was his time to go but he was going to take the dragon out with him.

2. The Anglo-Saxon culture was about warriors,protecting your home land , and absolute loyalty to your king or ruler. Beowulf is the perfect example of how people probably wanted to be like in those days everything the Anglo-Saxon people believed in he was that and more. One way he illustrates what they believed is in the story when Beowulf hears of grendal the story says;But a warrior of Hygelac'sheard of Grendel's doings;he was the strongest of menalive in that day,mighty and noble.That man called for a ship,said he would cross the oceanand help the king who needed help.Wise men urged him to that adventure though he was dear to them.They examined omensand whetted him on. This is showing you that Beowulf is a warrior and ready to protect his homeland.Another example is when grendals mom kills Aeschere, the kings confidant, Beowulf says, "Do not sorrow, wise king!It is better for a manto avenge a friend than mourn much. Each of us must await the end of this life. He who wishes will work for glory before death. That is best for the warrior after he is gone.Arise, guardian of the kingdom,let us go quicklyto see Grendel's kin.I promise you this:she will not escape to shelter--not into the earth's bosom,not into the mountain's wood,not into the sea's bottom,go where she will!For this day, havepatience in each woe."I think this shows how loyal Beowulf was. Another part of the story has to do with loyalty but it is someone being loyal to Beowulf. When Beowulf was fighting the dragon Wiglaf knew beowulf needed his help and when he got to Beowulf he said ''Now has the day comethat our lordis in need of fighters,of good warriors.Let us go to him,help the war-chiefin this fire-horror.'' I think this shows a lot of loyalty and it also shows that he is a warrior.

3. I think that this story is some what similar to the hero storys that we know now. Beowulf is pretty much like the superman of his time, but the thing that makes him different is that I still look at Beowulf as a man he was just really strong and could do some cool things with his strength. Beowulf unlike some of our super heros still answered to someone but our super heros usually have a fake idintity and regularly are not just known to every one as a super hero.The way that Beowulf is like our super hero because in the story is says ''he was the strongest of menalive in that day,mighty and noble.'' Just like the super heros we know he is famous every one knows of him.

4.I kind of like the ending of the story because you usually don't end a story with the main character,the hero, dieing. But it was really Beowulf own fault he died he was already old then he had been king for fifty years. Maybe he was just cocky since he did all that amazing stuff in the past. I look at the ending different I think Beowulf went to the dragon to die and also kill the dragon. I think since Beowulf did all that stuff in the past he wanted to go out in battle thats what he liked doing and thats what he was good at so I think he wanted to go out with a bang.

1 comment:

D a n a said...

You have done some great work here. The first few sentences are a little hard to understand, but I love the way you have used direct evidence. That is something I usually have to ask people to go back and fix.

Nice work.